User Tag List

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOA View Post
    That sounds like west side barbell club. I have been reading stories about them in Flex for a couple years and PL'rs sound like freakin machines man...

I am very curious how you guys get your tendons to catch up with the strength of the muscles. I'm sure I could benefit from knowing how to boost ligament strength.
    It's not the muscle that determines strength, it's the CNS and technique. You kinda bring up an area that is misunderstood when it comes to PL'ing and that is the gear. Most people think that you throw on a shirt and you automatically add 200lbs to your 1RM, but this is far from the truth. When describing the role of gear, I akin it to additional layers of connective tissue that is extremely tight. Not sure how much from physics class you recall, but there is something called the normal force that pushes opposite of gravity. When you train in gear you not only have to deal with the weight on the bar, but you have to work with the additional normal force created by the shirt all while trying to stay tight and not let the gear fold you.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rulk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like a new art to lifting, with gear.

In another thread I kind of touched on nerves and lifting, but could not quite get the thought out. I have to admit, I thought the crossover ability of bodybuilding type lifting, over into powerlifting ( for strength gain ), did not go over really well.

Just lifting in the lower numbers for reps and resting more was my only understanding of the sport, but there is so much more... Just looking at Louie Simmons programs throws me for a loop. I think I would actually have to attend a gym that is dedicated towards PL to really get my mind to wrap around it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOA View Post
    It sounds like a new art to lifting, with gear.

In another thread I kind of touched on nerves and lifting, but could not quite get the thought out. I have to admit, I thought the crossover ability of bodybuilding type lifting, over into powerlifting ( for strength gain ), did not go over really well.

Just lifting in the lower numbers for reps and resting more was my only understanding of the sport, but there is so much more... Just looking at Louie Simmons programs throws me for a loop. I think I would actually have to attend a gym that is dedicated towards PL to really get my mind to wrap around it.
    I had to literally change everything I thought I knew about lifting once I began PL'ing. The techniques, the methods, the templates, etc. were all so radically different from the shit (and I mean shit) that the mainstream training organizations teach you. I honestly hate it because there are a huge number of people with tons of certifications and degrees, but have no real knowledge outside of what they were taught. I can't even tell you how many people I encountered in grad school who had never heard of conjugate periodization, block periodization, Prilepin's chart, and other cornerstones of PL'ing.

The biggest misconception, however, is that there is a very limited application for PL'ing in sports or for even the lay client. I heavily disagree because the number one principle of PL'ing is technique. Technique to not only put up the best possible poundages, but to also do a lift safely and efficiently. BB'ers shit on PL'ers all the time because all they ever talk about are the SHW and 308 lifters that carry a significant amount of BF and will swear up and down that strength does not matter. However, when you watch the pros train, you will notice that the biggest guys are also usually the strongest (e.g. Ronnie, Dillett, Branch) because they know how important poundages are to periodization and overload. Yes, volume and frequency are important, but the easiest tangible feedback is strength.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To piggyback on what you said there ^^^ I'd say that maybe not PLing specifically, but strength training overall has more crossover application to other sports and various activities than any other training protocol.

Strength and size DO have correlation. Absolutely. I think some of the benefits in BBing is that when you can lift more weight in a higher rep range, then you see hypertrophy. But building that strength is difficult to do in that higher rep range. The lactic acid and other waste products along with shortage of oxygen tires out the muscle too quickly. Training in the lower rep ranges allows a BBer to lighten the weight and still do far more weight in the higher rep ranges once the strength training foundation has been built and continues to be built upon.

A phrase was coined many years ago, "power bodybuilding", which tends to be the way I have trained historically. Having started in PLing and training for years with national and world champ powerlifters, there was little chance that I would/could avoid strength training in my BBing pursuits.
    Last edited by burlyman30; 01-13-2013 at 04:06 PM.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really behind on updating this.

1/8

Flat Bench
    225x5x4

Meadows Rows
    90x12x3
    115x10 (used straps)

JM Press
    135x12x4

Pressdowns/BB Curls/Facepulls
    90x15/85x12/90x15
    90x15/85x12/100x15
    90x15/85x12/100x15

Got in some solid work today. We have a competition bench now and it feels much different compared to the junk we were using. The j-peg is larger than it should be, but that's a minor complaint. I am having to adjust to the different base that the wider bench has and it actually made me feel more unstable, which is really weird. It has been awhile since I did some JM presses, so I went light with some nice TUT and really focused on the triceps.

1/9

Reverse Band Deficit Pulls (greens; 5" deficit)

405x5
    455x3
    495x2
    570x1x2 PR

Suspended SSB GM
    160x10
    210x8x3 PR

Standing Cable Crunches
    100x15
    120x15x3
    140x10

Blasted the hell out of body during this session. I haven't done reverse band pulls in ages and have never done them with a deficit. Getting to the bar was 90% of the battle as my gear has been extra tight lately, which is exactly what I want. One thing that the deficits have really done is forced me to really push out hard and hold my arch. We just got a pair of suspension straps and decided to play with them. In the future, I'll be doing them only for ME or as a supplemental lift, but I needed to get the motion down and did moderate reps. By the end, my fraking hamstrings were gone and this will become a staple in my training to break 650 of pulls and 750 on squats by the end of the Summer.

1/11

Bench (2-board)
    405x3x3
    425x3 PR

Limited on time on this day and really hammered my bench. Made some very subtle adjustments that really enabled me to get into my new groove due to the shirt being tighter and moving the collar lower. I was struggling with elbow position as I was overtucking and doing so too early in the movement.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1/13

Squat
    405x3
    455x2
    495x1 (added reverse greens)
    545x1
    585x1
    610x1x2
    515x5

GM
    145x15x4

Ab Wheel
    BWx10x4

First time I've had that much weight on my back in a long time and I'm starting to move up in my weights with an eye on April. I'm still nagged by my left calf that cramps up when my knee wraps are too low, but that will be addressed. My major concern is now my gear. My suit is a size 52 Ace that I've been using for all of my lower body sessions (straps down). It has gotten so tight that I now need help taking the thing off and I have two ideas on what I can do: cut the suit into briefs and make it into a suit (I've had this intention for awhile) or use my old single ply Centurion briefs and leave the suit unaltered. Those Centurions have some major bite to them and I might be able to fit them underneath my suit, which I will not be able to do with a pair of double-ply.

My pulls most likely be done in just my Ace as I love the groove it puts me into, but I have not tried the Ace/Centurion combo and gear combinations are a fun experiment.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    My major concern is now my gear. My suit is a size 52 Ace that I've been using for all of my lower body sessions (straps down). It has gotten so tight that I now need help taking the thing off and I have two ideas on what I can do: cut the suit into briefs and make it into a suit (I've had this intention for awhile) or use my old single ply Centurion briefs and leave the suit unaltered. Those Centurions have some major bite to them and I might be able to fit them underneath my suit, which I will not be able to do with a pair of double-ply.
    I would leave the suit intact and either keep it incase you feel like dropping weight for a meet or trade it for a 54.

Great lifts, especially the deficit pulls.
    The spirit that I have seen may be the devil: and the devil hath power to assume a pleasing shape; yea, and perhaps out of my weakness and my melancholy, as he is very potent with such spirits, abuses me to damn me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xxiv View Post
    I would leave the suit intact and either keep it incase you feel like dropping weight for a meet or trade it for a 54.

Great lifts, especially the deficit pulls.
    If I get to a point where I want to drop weight, I can use one of the crew's gear (two of the guys I train with use Ace suits). I've had my suit altered already to where the hips are pinched in 1" on each side as the Ace line has a small thigh opening in relation to the hips. I've considered moving to the Jack line as they addressed the leg issue by making larger openings, but that's a lot of cash to dole out right now and I've seen mixed reviews on the suits. I can definitively say that I am NOT strong enough to take full advantage of using both Ace briefs and suit and would need to get to the 800s on squat to fully take advantage of the extra support and tightness.

This is the bad thing about gear. It gets to a point where it gets very complicated and my experience with different types of gear is rather small. I've only used Metal's lineup (Ace shirt and suit, Pro briefs, Viking briefs) for multiply, but will be trying an Inzer double ply shirt either this week or next week.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1/15

OHP
    145x7
    145x6x2

Neutral Pullups
    BWx10
    BW+20x7x2
    BW+20x6-drop-BWx4

Meadow's Row
    90x10
    115x10x3

JM Press
    135x15
    185x10
    195x10x2

Tate Press/Seated DB Clean
    35x10x3/20x10x3

Fairly long session. Threw in some extra pulling volume to widen my base for bench and squat along with going much heavier on JMs. Triceps were trashed by the end, especially towards the insertion at the elbow.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 5 (100%) O_RYAN_007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been a long time since I've followed your sessions brother. Impressive numbers you're putting up! I'm glad to see your still crushing those PR. I took some time off from the PL, and started moving into Mountain Dog training, but I'm really thinking about making a come back. I just need to get back into the groove.